UK Marine Notices (MGNs and MSNs) are excellent sources of information for anyone studying for Officer of Watch, Chief Mate and Master’s examinations, even for those not sailing under the British flag. Here are the top ten of the Notices covering the subject of lifeboats.
Follow the links to read the notice.
1. MSN 1803 (M) – Lifeboats – Measures to Prevent Accidents
2. MGN 540 (M+F) – Life-Saving Appliances – Lifeboats and Rescue Boats – Fitting of ‘Fall Preventer Devices’ to Reduce the Danger of Accidental Hook Release
3. MGN 541 (M+F) – Life-Saving Appliances – Lifeboats and Rescue Boats – Evaluation and Replacement of Lifeboat Release and Retrieval Systems (LRRS)
4. MSN 1722 (M+F) – Guidelines for Training Crews for the Purpose of Launching Lifeboats and Rescue Boats from Ships Making Headway through the Water
5. MGN 464 (M+F) – Life-Saving Appliances: Lifeboats and Rescue Boats – Weight Increase from Water Ingress
6. MGN 34 (M+F) – Lifeboat Engines and Other Compression Ignition Engines Used in an Emergency
7. MGN 78 (M+F) – Launching Crews for Lifeboats, Rescue Boats, Class C Boats, Inflatable Boats and Other Boats
8. MSN 1186 (M) – Lifeboat Winches Fitted with a Roller Ratchet Mechanism
9. MSN 1676 (M) – The Merchant Shipping (Life-Saving Appliances for Ships Other Than Ships of Classes III to VI(A)) Regulations 1999 – The Merchant Shipping (Life-Saving Appliances for Passenger Ships of Classes III to VI(A)) Regulations 1999
10. MSN 1677 (M) – The Merchant Shipping (Life-Saving Appliances for Ships Other Than Ships of Classes III to VI(A)) Regulations 1999
(For ships constructed before 1ST JULY 1986)
To learn more about ‘The Really Handy’ range of study aids for OOW examinations- click here>