The MLC-Protecting the crew’s working conditions
Why us it required?
What ships require the certificate?
Ships of 500 GT or over, engaged in international voyages.
What information is contained on the document?
- Name of ship
- Distinctive number of letters
- Port of registry
- Date of registry
- Gross tonnage
- IMO number
- Type of ship Name and address of shipowner
What does it certify?
That the ship has been inspected and verified to be in compliance with the requirements of the international labour convention.
What other document must be attached to the certificate?
A Declaration of maritime labour compliance
How long is the certificate valid?
For a maximum of five years
What inspections are required?
A renewal inspection every five years
An intermediate inspection, if the certificate is five years, it shall take place between the second and third anniversary dates of the certificate.
What areas are covered by an inspection?
- Minimum age
- Medical certification
- Qualifications of seafarers
- Seafarers’ employment agreements
- Use of any licensed or certified or regulated private recruitment and placement
- Hours of work or rest
- Manning levels for the ship
- On-board recreational facilities
- Food and catering
- Health and safety and accident prevention
- On-board medical care
- On-board complaint procedures
- Payment of wages
What does the Declaration of maritime labour compliance state?
That the national requirements implementing the Convention, setting out the measures adopted by the shipowner to ensure compliance.
What are the two parts of the Declaration of maritime labour compliance?
- Part I :Drawn up by the competent authority (Flag state)
- Part II: Drawn up by the shipowner
What is contained within part 1 of the Declaration of maritime labour compliance?
- Identify the list of matters to be inspected
- Identify the national requirements embodying the relevant provisions of the
- Refer to ship-type specific requirements under national legislation
- Record any substantially equivalent provisions adopted
- Clearly indicate any exemption granted by the competent authority
What is contained within part II of the Declaration of maritime labour compliance?
The measures adopted to ensure ongoing compliance with the national requirements between inspections and the measures proposed to ensure that there is continuous improvement.
For more information
To learn more about ‘The Really Handy’ range of study aids for OOW examinations- click here>