What does it cover?
Before this blog dives into the realms of grain cargoes certification it will have a quick look at the contents of SOLAS Chapter VI. A quick look that may be useful in hunting for cargo related legislation.
Contents of Chapter VI
Part A – General Provisions
- Regulation 1 – Application
- Regulating 1-1 – Definitions
- Regulation 1-2 – Requirements for the Carriage of Solid Bulk Cargoes other than Grain
- Regulation 2 – Cargo Information
- Regulation 3 – Oxygen Analysis and Gas Detection Equipment
- Regulation 4 – The Use of Pesticides in Ships
- Regulation 5 – Stowage and Securing
- Regulation 5-1 – Material Safety Data Sheets
- Regulation 5-2 – Prohibition of the Blending of Bulk Liquid Cargoes and Production Processes during Sea Voyages
Part B – Special Provisions for Solid Bulk Cargoes
- Regulation 6 – Acceptability for Shipment
- Regulation 7 – Loading, Unloading and Stowage of Solid Bulk Cargoes
Part C – Carriage of Grain
- Regulation 8 – Definitions
- Regulation 9 – Requirements for Cargo Ships Carrying Grain
Some recommended links on cargo safety
- The IMO page on Cargo>
- The IMO page on cargo securing and packing>
- The IMO page on the Code of Safe Practice for Cargo Stowage and Securing (CSS Code)>
The next post will move on to explore the certification associated with Regulation 9, the carriage of grain.