This blog will now take a pause in its exploration of ship’scertificates. But before it moves on to the next topic here is a very quick post on an eclectic chapter in SOLAS.
Special Measures to Enhance Maritime Safety
SOLAS Chapter XI is a mixture of assorted Regulations, some covering safety, and some security. Hidden within this Chapter are some important Regulations that may be expected to be contained in other parts of SOLAS.
Contents of the Chapter
- Regulation 1 – Authorization of Recognized Organizations
- Regulation 2 – Enhanced Surveys
- Regulation 3 – Ship Identification Number
- Regulation 3-1 – Company and Registered Owner Identification Number
- Regulation 4 – Port State Control on Operational Requirements
- Regulation 5 – Continuous Synopsis Record
- Regulation 6 – Additional Requirements for the Investigation of Marine Casualties and Incidents
- Regulation 7 – Atmosphere Testing Instrument for Enclosed Spaces
What useful information can be found in these regulations?
Regulation 2 contains the additional hull survey requirements for bulk carriers and oil tankers.This Regulation mandates the requirement to comply with the ESP code.
Regulation 3 contains the requirements to display the vessels IMO number.
Regulation 5 contains the requirements to hold a CSR.
Regulation 7 contains the requirement to hold portable atmosphere testing equipment.