A Handy Guide to the new MARPOL documentation
The 2018 amendments to MARPOL have brought with it a new piece of documentation for ship’s to carry- The statement of compliance for fuel oil consumption reporting. This post gives a quick look at the requirements surrounding that statement.
Why does a statement of compliance for fuel oil consumption reporting require to be submitted?
It is required under MARPOL Regulation 22A – Collection and Reporting of Ship Fuel Oil Consumption Data.
Which ships have to hold a statement?
Ship of 5,000 gross tonnage and above.
What does the statement declare?
- That the ship has submitted to this Administration the data required by regulation 22A of Annex VI of MARPOL
- The data was collected and reported in accordance with the methodology and processes set out in the ship’s SEEMP
What information is shown on the statement?
- Name of ship
- Distinctive number or letters
- IMO Number
- Port of registry
- Gross tonnage
- Validity date
- Period for which data was submitted
What is the validity of the Statement?
Normally for the calendar year in which it is issued and for the first five months of the following calendar year.
What does MARPOL Regulation 22A require?
- That from the calendar year 2019, each ship of 5,000 gross tonnage and above shall collect the data on fuel consumption
- At the end of each calendar year, the ship shall aggregate the data collected in that calendar year or portion thereof, as appropriate.
- Within three months after the end of each calendar year, the ship shall report to its Administration or any organization duly authorized by it, the aggregated data via electronic communication and using a standardized format required by the IMO
What information is required to be submitted?
- Identity of the ship
- IMO number
- Period of calendar year for which the data is submitted
- Ship type
- Gross tonnage
- Net tonnage
- Deadweight tonnage
- Power output of main and auxiliary reciprocating internal combustion engines over 130 kW
- EEDI (if applicable)
- Ice class
- Fuel oil consumption, by fuel oil type in metric tonnes
- Methods used for collecting fuel oil consumption data
- Distance travelled
- Hours underway
Where can more information on MARPOL 22A be found?
- IMO page on the amendments
- IMO press briefing on the new regulations
- Lloyds Register information
- MEPC 282(70)
The Really Handy Guides to Ship Certification
Navsbooks publish three revision aids in the Kindle format on vessel certification, with another one about to go live. Here are the titles available so far: