The post in Navigation light series gives a quick summary into the performance standards required of vessel’s navigation lights.
What document gives the performance Standards for Navigation lights?
Performance Standards for Navigation lights, Navigation Light Controller and Associated Equipment
Navigation Light equipment should be designed, tested, installed and maintained based on these standards.
What is the purpose of Navigation Lights?
- Identify ships
- Notify their intentions at sea
What is the purpose of a Navigation Lights Controller?
is to provide means of:
- Control of Navigation lights
- Monitoring of the status of Navigation lights
What is covered in MSC 253?
- Associated equipment
- Navigation Light (NL)
- Navigation Light Controller (NLC)
4 Navigation Lights
- Luminous intensity distribution
- Special requirements for lights using LEDs
5 Navigation Light Controller
- On off switches
- Status indications
6 Power supply and fallback arrangements
- Need for separate circuits
- Ability to operate by an emergency source
- Automatic switch over to the alternative source of power is permitted.
7 Associated equipment
- General requirements for associated equipment
- Screens for sidelight may be a part of a ship’s structure.
The markings that each Navigation Light should have.
9 Installation of navigation lights and associated equipment.
The general requirements required of navigation lights
- The requirements for the ease of replacing the lights
- The requirements for the ability to maintain the lights
The next post will look at some of these performance standards in more detail.